Shoo Fly or Choice*
(*Any block of your choosing.)
Each block should incorporate teal or turquoise.
Fabric A: use a light color.
Fabric B: use a dark color.
All fabric used should be cotton.
CONSTRUCTING THE QUILT BLOCK
Fabric A: Cut four (4) 4½” squares and two (2) 5½” squares.
Fabric B: Cut one (1) 4½” square and two (2) 5½” squares.
Place a 5½” square A and a 5½” square B with right sides together. Make a pencil line diagonally on back of fabric. Sew a ¼” seam on both sides of the line. See Diagram 1 below (dotted lines are sewing lines). Repeat with other set of 5½” squares. Cut on pencil line and press toward the dark fabric. Now trim the four (4) A/B blocks to measure 4½” square. See Diagram 2 below.
Assemble in horizontal rows as shown below in Diagram 3. Sew the block together using ¼” seam allowances. Each finished quilt block should measure 12½” x 12½”.
Press all seams. Clip and remove all threads.
- The National Grange Quilt Block Contest is open to everyone.
- All contest entries must be received by the National Grange Lecturer by October 31, 2020. Send entries to: Christine Hamp, National Lecturer 16418 N. Birdie Road Nine Mile Falls WA 99026
- Any entries received after the deadline will not be judged. However, all entries received will be exhibited at the 154th National Grange convention in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.
- The quilt block you enter in the contest for judging must be made by you.
- There is no limit on the number of quilt blocks a person may submit, but choose one quilt block per person to be judged.
- All entries will be retained by the National Grange to be made into finished quilts and other items to be sold at a later date to raise funds for the Grange Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit entity.
- A 2020 Quilt Block Contest Entry Form must be completed for the block to be judged.
- Group I – Adult (Age 14+)
- Group II – Junior (Age 13 and under)
- GROUP III – Men (Age 14+)
Monetary prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in both Groups. Ribbons will be awarded to all entrants.