Pride of Quillisascut
(based on the Disappearing Nine Patch, also called Split Nine Patch)
Three fabrics. The key to this block is that there is good contrast between all three fabrics.
Fabric A should be a medium to dark print.
Fabric B should be significantly lighter than fabric A.
Fabric C should be BRIGHT! Not a pastel bright, but a strong BRIGHT!
All fabric used should be cotton.
CONSTRUCTING THE QUILT BLOCK
Cut all pieces to 4-½ inch x 4-½ inch square.
Fabric A: Cut four.
Fabric B: Cut four. Fabric C: Cut one.
Use a ¼ inch seam allowance. Sew into three rows: ABA, BCB, ABA. Sew the rows together into a single block.
Cut the block into four equal pieces through the middle.
Rotate two blocks.
Sew the block back together.
Press all seams.
Clip and remove all threads.
Unfinished block should measure 12-½ inches x 12-½ inches.
- The National Grange Quilt Block Contest is open to everyone.
- All contest entries must be received by the National Grange Lecturer by October 31, 2019. Send entries to:
Christine Hamp, National Lecturer
16418 N. Birdie Road
Nine Mile Falls WA 99026
- Any entries received after the deadline will not be judged. However, all entries received will be exhibited at the 153rd National Grange convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- The quilt block you enter in the contest for judging must be made by you.
- There is no limit on the number of quilt blocks a person may submit, but choose one quilt block per person to be judged.
- All entries will be retained by the National Grange to be made into finished quilts and other items to be sold at a later date to raise funds for the Grange Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit entity.
- A 2019 Quilt Block Contest Entry Form must be completed for the block to be judged.
- Group I – Adult (Age 14+)
- Group II – Junior (Age 13 and under)
Monetary prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in both Groups. Ribbons will be awarded to all entrants.