2022 Awareness Award Theme: HOW DOES WEATHER AFFECT AGRICULTURE?
Complete the following tasks to receive your 2022 Awareness Award!
- RESEARCH: Identify and define the 4 major types of weather that affect Agriculture (Drought, Flooding, Freezing, Extreme Heat), IF you can name more identify and define them too.
- RESEARCH: What careers could you have if you studied Weather? If you can, find someone in your community who works in this field and interview them or write a list of careers and define at least 3 of them.
- RESEARCH: Learn about weather patterns where you live. Which of the 4 major weather types affects your area more often? Is there more than one? What makes it unique?
- RESEARCH: How do farmers know when it is a good time to plant and harvest crops?
- Pick at least two of the following:
- STEM-Build your own Anemometer to measure wind speed.
- STEM-Build your own Weather Vane to find wind direction.
- STEM-Build a Barometer for measuring Atmospheric Pressure
- STEM-Build a Screed Thermometer to measure Air Temperature
- STEM- Build a Rain Guage to measure Rainfall
- SHOW WHAT YOU KNOW: Create a poster to show at least two different weather types and how they could negatively affect farmers.
- TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE: Complete the Weather Awareness Passport.
- SHARE WHAT YOU KNOW: Take all of the things you learned about WEATHER and make a plan on how you are going to inform your Grange/Community to be prepared for extreme weather. (hint utilize your STEM Project)
Submit the following information:
- Pictures of the STEM Weather device you made
- Copy of your Interview or Career Research
- Copy of your poster
- Copy of the completed passport
- Pictures of your efforts to bring awareness! (Talking to neighbors, at your Grange meeting, hanging flyers, etc…)
The Awareness Awards will be presented during the National Grange Convention. If you are unable to attend National Session we will send your certificate home with your State President or another representative. Awards will be given to either Individuals or Junior Granges.
Individual Junior Submissions MUST HAVE
- Grange Name & Number
- Mailing Address
- Email/ Phone Number
Junior Grange Submissions MUST HAVE:
- Junior Grange Name & Number
- Junior Leader’s Name
- Mailing Address
- Email/Phone Number
SUBMISSIONS FOR AWARD MUST BE MADE BY AUGUST 15.