In this section you will find information on the Creative Art-Poster contest, Sign-A-Song Contest, and the deaf awareness service project.
CREATIVE ART POSTER CONTEST
THEME: Deaf Awareness
The National Junior Grange is working to help bring awareness about the deaf and hard of hearing community to your community by creating a poster on deaf/hard of hearing awareness.
- Must be a Junior Grange Member
- Maximum Art size is 8.5 x11
- May use any medium they choose (i.e., crayons, pencil, markers, paint, etc.)
- Each entry must be labeled on the back with an index card stating, in clear handwriting or typed, the following information:
b. Age (and birthdate)
d. Grange name and number
e. Mailing address
Submissions must be postmarked by September 1st of current year to be entered into National Competition.
AGE: Will be broken down into 3 age categories:
Group 1: 5-7
Group 2: 8-10
Group 3: 11-14
Judging will be based on creativity, originality, and use of theme.
By entering this contest, you are giving the National Grange/National Junior Grange/Grange Foundation, full rights to use your art for promotional purposes and other projects as the organization deems necessary
AWARDS: Cash prizes for 1st-3rd place winners in each age category will be awarded during the National Grange Session. Winners not present will have their awards mailed to them.
DEAF AWARENESS SERVICE PROJECT
Through the deaf awareness service project your Grange/Junior Grange will have the opportunity to choose one or more of the following events to support the deaf community and serve as a committee to help bring awareness to deaf culture within your own communities.
You may work together with your Subordinate and/or Junior Grange to host one of the following events.
- Start a Sign-Language Club in your school/Grange/Community to teach children about sign-language and encourage them to learn the language.
- Host a silent dinner where the patrons are only allowed to sign and there is no talking allowed without sign during the dinner.
- Host a deaf movie night- there are several ASL films all in sign-language or other movies about deaf culture. Gather to watch these movies with only closed captioning and no sound.
- Host a deaf coffee chat at a local coffee shop, restaurant, or Grange Hall and invite the deaf to come and have a sign-language social.
- Host a fund-raiser event to raise funds for the Grange Foundation Deaf Activities fund.