INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING A MERIT BADGE VEST
- Color: Any color or print – The Junior Grange color is dark red
- Material: Denim, broadcloth, polished cotton, Indianhead, poplin or similar washable material.
- Pattern: A variety of vest patterns are available at your local stores.
MAKE A DISPLAY CASE OR POSTER FOR YOUR MERIT BADGES
- Poster: Most office supply stores have a large selection of poster boards.
- Display Case: Can be found at major art & craft store or online.
- Picture Case: Can be found at picture framing supply stores.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING A MERIT BADGE SASH
(Dark red, wine or maroon color) 2 yards of 36″ wide material will cut four 9″ X 72″ strips, or make four sashes.
(The Junior Grange color is dark red.)
- Polished cotton
- Similar washable material.
Cut piece 9″ wide X 60 – 72″ long, (the length will vary to fit the size of the child.) Finished sash to be 4″ wide.
To taper ends: Fold in half lengthwise. Begin cutting 2″ from end to cut edge, tapering to a point at fold. Repeat at opposite end.
Shoulder seam: Fold in half crosswise. Make dart 1½” from fold on both sides, tapering dart to a point at center.
Seams: Fold in half lengthwise with right sides together and stitch, making a ½” seam. Leave approximately 6″ open at shoulder seam to turn right side out. Then fold under seam allowance on opening, hand stitch and press.
Cross the front section over back, leaving ends approximately 4″ long. Fasten together by stitching or with a snap fastener.